I've often struggled with writing in a journal. I usually write when emotions are high.
In my engagement time to Jack I often wrote from a feeling of gratitude for him and the life I was looking forward to as his companion. I was naive about all those dreams, but I think we all are in the beginning.
As time went on I wrote in my children's journals. I documented each new accomplishment. I marveled at how big they were getting. I told them how much I loved them. I wanted each of them to know of the things in their life that they wouldn't remember.
This morning I thought about my journals, and Jack's. I read his old journals in a moment of discouragement about a year and a half ago. Not something I'm proud of. I also wouldn't advise it. I thought I would find hidden treasures of good memories from the past and an understanding of what could be behind the silence of the present. I found neither.
For me, I am a journal writer only when troubled. I use it as a friend. I talk of my struggles. I do not write like I did in my kids journals all the accomplishments of the day. My journals are a record of heartache.
A few times I record the joys, but mostly those are journaled in books that went to my children when they got married. I also documented all the struggle I was having as their mom. I often spoke of my failings in those books instead of writing my accomplishments in my own book.
I stopped journaling my life in my book.
I am now asked to journal whats going on in my life. My feelings about this horrible thing called divorce.
I have struggled to be honest at times, always hiding a part of myself. I am afraid of what I might find that will tell me this is all my fault.
Or worse yet that it is a good thing after all.
.
You have a lot to be proud of. Perhaps it's easy for a perfectionist to be self-critical. I hope you'll find room in your new journal to record both present and future accomplishments - it would be unfair not to. :)
ReplyDelete