Tuesday night my home teachers came to visit. It was nice to talk to them. The message was taken from the July Ensign. "Always in the Middle" by President Uchtdorf. He speaks of acting as though we are in the middle of what ever we are doing, or going through.
By treating our lives as if we were in the middle, we unleash a potential so powerful as to change our lives. It allows us to never feel as though we are the"new ones" unable to give our opinions, nor our testimony of God's Glory. We don't feel too young and inexperienced, but we also don't feel too old to contribute anything of value in a world that is ever changing.
It was a wonderful message, so timely for my life. Brother Allen finished with the title of an Emily Dickinson Poem entitled "Forever--Is Composed Of Nows"
That got me thinking of what I see my forever as. Is is a compilation of all the stupid things I have done in my life? Is is composed of past regrets and fears of the future? I have to admit that my vision of forever often has included these things. They are my "now" way more than they should be.
God's glory is our happiness. He knows that as we follow Him and His ways, we choose to be people who can be happy. To pursue happiness is a God-given right, but not promised to us. God doesn't say that our happiness is all he strives for. God says that his work is to bring to pass our eternal exaltation. How many of my "nows" have helped Him? Do I stand in his way, kicking and screaming to have it my way or else?
The answer at times must be yes, even though I hate to admit that.
SO this week I am determined to take notice of my "nows". To live in the present and compose my future. I will let you know how it goes, and invite you to do the same.
Nice updates on your blog. Very thought provoking stuff.
ReplyDelete