When asked to work on zipping a coat, she told me "You do the hard part and I will finish". I replied "No you can do it." Thus began the biggest tantrum ever. She plopped to the floor crying in a puddle of discouragement. She rolled all the way to the other side of the room screaming "No you do it, I can't!" She rolled til she hit the wall, all the while hearing me repeat the words "You can do hard things." When she got to the wall, she began wailing and kicking the wall. I told her "I'll wait." After a few minute's I finally said "If I do the hard part, you will never learn to do it."
Here's where the lesson came in...
I heard a quiet voice in my head repeat those words..."If I do the hard part you will never learn to do it."
It was as if my Father in Heaven were speaking directly to me. I heard him.
How many times do we ask the Lord to "do the hard part"? How many times do we have a major break down when he won't do it? We can plead with him, cry, scream and kick, but to no avail. You see our Father in Heaven and our Savior know that we must learn by our own experiences. If they step in to "save the day", the day may be saved, but we won't be. Their TOP priority is us and our salvation, and so must watch in uncomfortable silence sometimes waiting for us to give in to His will and complete the hard task before us.
My life may not be as I dreamed of so many years ago as a naive teenager. It has taken turns along the way that I have questioned. I now sit on a road that is bumpy but passable. I have been known to question why I must do something so hard for me. I have pleaded with the Lord and my Father to let me go back to the road I was traveling before. "Why can't we make THAT road work" "I will do a better job if you just let me do it" "I can't travel on this road"
But this is where I am. This is the hard thing I must do to obtain God's promises of a better life. I testify that God is here. I feel him and see him daily through the acts of others who have no clue they are part of my journey. They walk along side me and every so often go ahead to smooth the road so I can pass. For that I am in debt to my family and friends...but most of all I am, and always will be, in debt to the Father that gently says "You can do hard things".
Thank you for warming my heart and giving me such great thoughts to dwell on today! Wonderful lesson! Love you, Cindy!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Cindy for the reminder that sometimes what we want to do is not what Heavenly Father needs us to go through. I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. Love you!
ReplyDeleteLove you ladies...you're the best!
ReplyDeleteI could write a book about the lessons I learned from my own students in the classroom(hopefully they learned some from me too). I used to have the sign up on the wall, "We can do hard things" for them to read. Really, it was me that needed the reminder most often! I loved your story! It's like unto the parables- "Parable of the Zipper" Great analogy! Keep it up!!!
ReplyDelete